3.6.08

30/4/2004

Una anécdota para terminar el mes. Especial para padres.

"When I was 10 or 11 years old (late 1950s), my dad ran for school committee. I was excited and proud to help. I was not very clear on the issues, but I knew that Dad was best for the job.
"On election day I helped by holding a sign in front of the polling place. The law required people who were supporting the various candidates to not venture too close to the entrance to the school in which the voting was taking place. With all the other poll workers I was instructed to stay behind the painted yellow line on the sidewalk so as to remain legal.
"In the afternoon an old lady got out of a taxi and, using a walker, she slowly approached the polling place door. The steps leading down to the elementary school basement were very steep. I was certain she would fall.
"While the other poll workers acted legally and just watched her, I put my sign down, crossed the line, ran across the street, held the door and helped the lady down the stairs.
"I returned to my post, picked up my sign and returned to my job of waving and urging people to vote for the very best candidate. Five minutes later the police arrived to censure me for breaking the law. Soon, Dad arrived. The angry police officer told him that I not only crossed the line, I went all the way to the door.
"My dad said. 'Pete, you knew better. Why would you do that?'
"I explained about fearing that the lady would fall, and going to help her safely down the stairs.
"Dad smiled and told me: 'You did exactly the right thing!'
"That's when I realized that right vs. wrong and legal vs. illegal were two different things. I was a libertarian for life."
Peter Fortunato

No hay comentarios.: